Account-based marketing (ABM) is a strategy that has risen in popularity over the last couple of years. It’s a smart approach that B2B companies can use to reach out and influence numerous buyers within an account.
This strategy is based on objective, data-driven identification of accounts that are high value. Then, buying committees engage within those accounts via coordinated marketing and sales efforts.
The thing is, not account-based marketing software solutions are created equal. As a marketer, you need to know which capabilities you have to look out for and expect from an ABM platform.
If you’re a business that wants to try ABM, there are many options for ABM platforms. Here are a few things that you have to consider before choosing one:
1. Functionality of the software
One of the first things you need to assess is the software’s functionality. Does it do what you need it to do?
When choosing an ABM solution tailored for your business, you have to consider three things:
- Identify your IPCP and TAL: ABM program’s foundation is having a solid target account list or TAL that creates accounts, then matches with the profile of ideal customers. A great ABM solution will provide a dynamic sync to your marketing automation and CRM databases. You can expand on this list by suggesting news accounts matching your ICP.
- Engage target accounts: A good ABM software allows you to engage the entire buying committee at your target accounts. A great platform allows engagement via digital ads, automated sales outreach, retargeting, and other channels such as direct mail, personalized content experiences, and so on.
- Measure your results: No marketing strategy is complete unless you look for ways to measure and evaluate your results. An excellent ABM solution lets you have detailed analytics and reporting.
2. System Transparency
For any ABM platform, transparency is key. This is to ensure that you’re doing ABM in a privacy-conscious manner.
Similarly, transparency allows you to see how data is activated while offering you a clear path on organization and pipeline contribution.
Transparency of an Account Based Marketing platform also lets you stay accountable by clearly indicating fees related to data, media, or platform. It should also provide clear documentation regarding data and platform performance.
3. Marketing tech stack integrations
There are two primary ways you can approach ABM implementation. One is to adopt an end-to-end platform supporting your entire marketing strategy. In the same way, it should also help you with your existing martech stack to help you with your in-house marketing tools.
Both of these methods are beneficial in the long run. Complete integration of ABM solution equips your sales and marketing teams with revenue-based account analytics. Also, with marketing automation and prospecting tools.
This will then allow tracking the overall progression of your account down the funnel and into the buying stage.
4. Account-based advertising
A good ABM platform should also support multi-channel, account-based advertising. Ideally, it should use highly targeted, personalized ads that simplify decisions on an account’s buying committee.
Digital ads are crucial. That’s because these let you proactively engage with your target buyers, even those unreachable on other channels. Traditional ads no longer fit the bill if you focus on quality over quantity.
Any platform is only as good as you make it. Excellent customer support or support success team lets you make the most of your ABM platform.
The best choice is to choose an ABM company that’s as focused on success as you are. Ideally, it would help if you looked for companies with a team of experts that allows you to create highly effective marketing campaigns while optimizing your program.
Here are also some questions that you need to ask:
- What type of onboarding and training is offered?
- Does the vendor provide with real-support via chat or email?
- Can you get a strategic consultation with a customer success manager?
6. Multi-step and omnichannel ABM
Another ability to look for whether a solution will support multiple steps in your marketing strategy is creating an omnichannel presence.
Ideally, you want to choose a platform that allows you to create ABM campaigns across multiple channels, from choosing your accounts to delivering your content across various touchpoints.
7. Real-time engagement data
With ABM, engagement insights will let you know if a target account is hot. In real-time, it will allow your team knows which specific accounts show a spike in engagement and what particular content they’re engaging with, empowering your team to develop a timely, relevant outreach.
Ideally, your ABM platform should also give insights into both known and anonymous contacts that aren’t found in your database.
This lets you identify, prioritize, and enhance velocity on your hottest accounts even if buyers from those accounts haven’t filled a lead form.
Over to You
There are plenty of moving parts in the ABM process- from account creation to reporting. Ideally, an ABM platform helps you streamline this process by avoiding operational and technical issues that come with countless tools that help you start generating results.
Many features vary widely in terms of features and functionality.
No one-size-fits-all solutions make it hard to find the right solution for your organization. However, considering these points, it will be easier for you to find the ABM solution tailored to your needs.